Hi there, and welcome to my SLOG!
What exactly is a SLOG you ask?
SLOG stands for courSe LOG. I am currently taking an introductory course in computer science called CSC148, and part of this course is to keep a record of my experiences in the course. In the coming weeks, I will be making a post at least once a week to talk about what I'm doing in CSC148 - the parts I enjoy, the parts I don't, things I'm learning, challenges I'm facing, how I'm dealing with them, and more.
For this week, I would just like to start with a brief description of an important part of my course so far - object-oriented programming. I took an introductory programming course last semester to prepare for this one, and in that course I began looking at the Python programming language. This course focused on the basics of Python, and mainly taught me about Python functions, which lead me to believe that functions were the most important part of Python. Almost immediately in my new course, I realised that this is not the case.
Python is what is called an object-oriented programming language (also known as OOP). This means that objects are the main focus of Python instead of functions. Objects are instances of classes (such as the str class and int class, but you can also define your own classes and created instances of them), and include attributes, which are the data the object is holding. Attributes tell you information about the object. Objects also have methods, which allow objects to perform functions.
I will be continuing to learn about OOP in the coming weeks, so in my upcoming posts I will continue to talk about it. Have a good week!
No comments:
Post a Comment